Jen & Gary

We are a young, vibrant couple who enjoy life.

Monday, April 24, 2006

A Message From Jen...

Here’s my story. It feels good to write down my thoughts and I hope the readers of my blog will understand…or not, either way it’s just good to get it out.

My name is Jen (31ears old, wow, that’s weird to say...), I live in Lansing, and I’m married to my wonderful husband, Gary for almost 6 yrs! We don’t have children; we have three cats, and one big stinky dog. So they are our pride and joy! Being childfree isn’t so obvious, certainly not with my family. My family is very conservative. (Married means having children) I think being childfree is wonderful! We are living a life that suits us best. Unfortunately we’re just a minority of the world’s population.

Everything you hear or see in the media involves children, trying to get pregnant or being pregnant. I think that some couples feel a huge pressure to have children; therefore they go through thousands and thousands of dollars trying to get pregnant and never succeed. In the meantime, the pressures keep escalading. They start having martial problems, family issues, and they find themselves dissatisfied with life. When in fact, if they would get off the merry go round, and set back and enjoy life, they would find they would become more satisfied in life, and realize there is a reason why children didn’t come naturally.

Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own environment. I’m happy with my life now and children don’t and probably won’t fit into that picture. Unfortunately everyone thinks you’re mad if you say things like that. So when I’m around my friends I want to talk about our jobs, movies, music, having a good laugh etc. Why does everything change whenever people are having children, they just talk about morning sickness, exploding bodies and burping babies. People I know who were childless by choice are now talking about being pregnant. I thought I’d found someone I could relate to and some day, out of the blue, they tell you they are becoming parents. It’s a crazy world!

But I hope the number of childfree people will grow, so we can make new friends. I don’t mean to sound insensitive to those who have children, but I am just stating things from my corner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill Corwin said...

Jen-I hope you know that I totally agree with you....on both ends. When you have children and/or are pregnant, it seems that that is all you talk about. However, I agree with you that, if you choose not to have children people think you are weird or something. I think that if you and your husband are happy, that is what matters. There is soooo much pressure to have children. and you are right, many marraiges end because of infertility and the pressures that come from that it is very sad. I think that you and Gary are mature about it, and have thought it out. I can see that you are happy, both individually, and together. And THAT is a rare and refreshing thing with couples. :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jen & Gary said...

Jill, thanks so much for reading this, I don't want to offend anyone.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home